With Easter just around the corner, and many of us shooting off for a family escape, now is the best time to get thinking about what you are going to cook on the Easter long weekend. You will only need some foil and a cast iron skillet to make this Tex Mex favourite on the camp fire.
- 2 teaspoons salt-free fiesta lime seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash brand
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups green, yellow, and/or red capsicum
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 (6 inch) 100% whole wheat flour tortilla
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cup fresh coriander
- ¼ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- ¼ cup refrigerated avocado dip (guacamole)
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Light firewood or charcoal and let campfire burn down to medium-hot embers or coals. Top with a grill rack.
- In a plastic bag combine lime seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken strips, several at a time, shaking to coat (do this before you leave home and keep in an esky until required)
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet heat 1 tsp. of the oil over campfire. Add chicken; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken.
- In skillet heat remaining 1 tsp. oil over campfire. Add capsicum and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken; heat through. Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil. Heat foil packet over campfire 2-3 minutes or until tortillas are warm, turning once.
- Serve chicken mixture in tortillas with the remaining ingredients.
Recipe and image from Eating Well - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/259866/fireside-fajitas/