Pesto has got to be one of the most versatile sauces or dip around. You can add it to almost anything! Some of the things we have tried is throwing it into some stir fried chicken and vegetables, as a pasta sauce, the traditional bruschetta or even a spoonful in some scrambled eggs makes for a jazzed up Sunday morning breakfast. If you have a basil bush at home, make a big batch of pesto and freeze portions of the pesto, so you have a quick and easy mid-week meal that you can throw together.
Ingredients (makes about 1 ½ cups of pesto)
4 x bunches of basil (around 3-4 tightly packed cups)
70g pine nuts
Juice of 1 large lemon
4 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of olive oil (or to the consistency you desire)
- Toast pine nuts in a pan until brown. Should take around 3 minutes
- Pick all basil leaves, chop parmesan into small chunks.
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- If freezing, divide into around ½ cup portions into zip lock bags
- Serve with pasta, chicken or any other delicious dish.