BBQ steak with green avocado salad Serves 4
2 medium onions, sliced thinly
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup lime juice
1 tblsp honey
½ cup coriander leaves
1 clove garlic
4 x ~150g steak e.g. rump
1 tblsp olive oil
1 avocado, firm but ripe, cut in to quarters, skin peeled
125g baby spinach
1 red oak lettuce, leaves separated
1 medium carrot, cut in to matchsticks
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Cook onions and steak on BBQ until cooked to your liking. Allow meat to rest for 5-10 mins. Meanwhile, place a cut side of the avocado on the grill. BBQ for 3 mins.
- Meanwhile, add vinegar, lime juice, honey, coriander leaves, garlic, salt and pepper to a food processor, blitz. Slowly add in oil until emulsified. This is the dressing for the salad.
- Line a large salad bowl with the red oak lettuce leaves. Fill the bowl with spinach leaves. Scatter over carrot and radish. Top with grilled avocado and drizzle over dressing. Scatter over pumpkin seeds.
- Serve steak topped with grilled onions and salad.
Per serve: 2550kJ, 57g protein, 35.9g fat (9.7g saturated), 10.8g carbs (9.4g sugars)
BBQ Thai chicken and rice noodle salad Serves 6
6 x 150g skinless chicken thigh
1 tsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup sweet chilli sauce
1 tblsp fish sauce
1 bunch coriander, leaves picked and separated in 4, stalks also chopped
1 lime, juiced and rind grated
¼ cup soy sauce
500g butternut pumpkin, cut in to 2 cm pieces
200g green beans, cut in to 3cm pieces
50g rice vermicelli noodles
1 red capsicum, diced
100g grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup mint leaves
2 tblsp chopped nuts (peanuts or cashews work well)
- Combine ginger; garlic; sweet chilli, fish and 1/4 the coriander leaves. Divide mixture in half. Add the coriander root, lime rind and soy sauce to one half. Marinate the chicken in this for 4 or more hours (overnight is great!). Add the remainder to a jug with the lime juice, this is the dressing.
- When ready to eat. Cook the chicken on the BBQ.
- Meanwhile, cook pumpkin & beans in the microwave or stove-top until tender. Soak the noodles in boiling water according to instructions.
- Mix noodles, pumpkin, beans, capsicum, tomatoes, remainder of the coriander leaves, mint and nuts. Season to taste. Serve the noodle salad, chicken and dressing to drizzle over.
Per serve: 2100kJ, 28.4g protein, 30g fat (8.7g saturated), 27.6g carbs (16.1g sugars)