Homemade Toasted Muesli Serves 16-20
3 cups whole oats (raw)
1 cup raw cashews
½ cup raw brazil nuts
½ cup raw whole Almonds
½ cup flaked Almonds
½ cup Pepita seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup pine nuts
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 heaped tablespoons organic coconut oil
2 heaped tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees and line two baking trays with baking paper or alfoil.
- Place oats, desiccated coconut, nuts and seeds into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small microwave safe bowl scoop in both coconut oil and honey and place in microwave for 1 minute (be mindful the bowl may be hot when removing). Stir until all coconut oil is melted.
- Pour melted mixture into the oat/nut/seed mix and stir through gently with either a wooden spoon or large tablespoon.
- Pour mixture out evenly onto both trays, ensuring that the trays aren’t piled too high with mixture. Spread to the corners and then place into oven for 35-40 mins or until mixture turns a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place trays on wire rack until the mixture is cooled completely (this will take approximately 1-2hours).
- Once cooled break apart and place in an air tight container.
Tip: Can be used as a breakfast option with your favourite yoghurt and fresh berries or add a sprinkle on top of your yoghurt for a tasty snack or have a small handful in a zip lock bag and eat by itself as a quick snack.
Walnut, orange and date damper Serves 6-8
115g (~1/2 cup) peeled butternut pumpkin, cut into 4cm-thick pieces, steamed and mashed
225g (1 ¼ cup)seeded dates
2 oranges, freshly squeezed
3 tbs orange rind
3 cups bakers flour
¾ cup raw walnut pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbs olive oil
Boiling water (for dates)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a tray with either baking paper or alfoil.
- Place dates in a heat proof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to ensure they go soft.
- Rinse and strain dates and cut into small pieces. Place dates and the mashed pumpkin mixture into large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Place freshly squeezed orange juice, orange rind, walnuts, olive oil, and salt into bowl and mix well. Once combined shift flour and baking powder into the mixture and with your hands, gently knead the dough until all ingredient come together. Note: over kneading the dough can cause the final product to be more condensed so make sure you don’t handle it for too long and that the dough mixture does get too warm. Dough should be quite sticky when touched.
- Shape the dough mixture into a round ball and gently place onto the lined baking tray. Cook in over for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. A good tip is to tap the top of the damper once it has turned golden brown to try to hear a hollow sound. If hollow then the damper is ready.
Tip: This damper is delicious by itself but also with some goats cheese and honey. IF you wanted to make a Gluten Free version just change over flours to an all-purpose GF flour and omit baking powder.
All recipes are suitable for vegetarians and vegans (use agave instead of honey in first recipe).