Healthy Winter Breakfast Ideas
From Kerry, Lauren, Rebecca, Marika, Simone, Joseph, Amelia and Kellie
Baked Oatmeal Serves 10
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tsp cinnamon2 tbsp firmly pack brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius and grease a baking dish with a little butter or cooking oil spray.
- Slice banana and place on bottom the baking dish with half the blueberries.
- In a separate bowl combine the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, 2 tbsp of almonds and the remainder of the blueberries. Stir gently to combine.
- Place the dry oat mixture on top of the bananas in the baking dish.
- Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla essence together in a bowl and pour evenly over oats. Wiggle the baking dish a little to let the milk mixture settle through the oats.
- Place the remainder of the almonds on top and bake for 35-40 mins.
- Serve with yoghurt.
Wholemeal Banana and Flaxseed pancakes Serves 3-4
100g wholemeal self-raising flour (use Coconut flour for Low FODMAP)
1 tsp flaxseeds
1 egg100ml semi-skimmed milk (Use zymil milk for Low FODMAP)
2 small bananas, sliced
2 tsp rapeseed oil
4 tsp honey (Use Maple syrup for Low FODMAP)
4 strawberries, quartered
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and then stir in the flaxseeds.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a jug. Make a well in the center of the flour/flaxseed mixture and add the egg/milk. Using a whisk, gently move the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until smooth. Add the sliced banana and mix.
- Heat half the rapeseed oil in a large pan over a medium heat and pour 2 tablespoons of the pancake mixture at a time. Cook on one side for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom and you see the pancake puff up. Flip and cook for a further 1-2 mins.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm (can be put into oven on very low heat) until the remainder of the mixture is used.
- Serve pancakes drizzled with honey (or maple syrup) and scatter the strawberries over the top.
Tip: The pancakes can be frozen after cooking and re-heated in the toaster for a super quick warm breakfast.
Ideal toppings: Spread some goats cheese and fresh berries with small drizzle honey or Low fat ricotta cheese with sliced pear.