Beetroot and chickpea salad Serves 6
1 bunch baby beetroot
1 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
¼ Tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
100g baby spinach leaves
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 small red onion, cut into thin strips
100g reduced fat feta
Fresh continental parsley and coriander (chopped to serve)
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Wash and trim the stems and roots off the beetroot. Wrap beetroot in foil and bake for 1 hour or until tender in the middle.
- Making the dressing: combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and garlic in a small container. Place the lid on and shake to combine ingredients. Leave to stand for ~15 minutes. Remove and dispose of the garlic.
- Carefully unwrap beetroot and leave until cool enough to handle. Peel off the beetroot skin and cut into quarters (Beetroot can stain your hands so wear gloves)
- Combine the spinach leaves, onion and drained chickpeas into a large salad bowl. Pour in the dressing and mix well. Serve immediately topped with pieces of beetroot, crumbled feta, coriander and parsley.
Chicken, Apple and Hazelnut salad Serves 4
500g chicken breast fillets (no skin)
¼ cup (45g) whole Hazelnuts
2 Red apples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced crossways
150g green beans, timed and cut into 4cm lengths
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs Low-fat sour cream
1 Tsp honey
1 Tsp water
2 celery sticks, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated, washed, dried and torn
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spread hazelnuts on a lined baking tray and cook for ~7minutes or until lightly toasted. Place hazelnuts on a clean cloth (tea towel is fine) and rub to remove the skins. Chop coarsely.
- To poach chicken: In a large saucepan or fry pan place the chicken with enough cold water completely cover all the chicken and place over medium heat. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for ~12mins or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from heat and place the chicken on a plate (make sure no water is on the plate) and set aside for 10 minutes to let it cool slightly.
- Blanch the green beans: In a medium heat proof dish, place the cut beans and cover with boiling water. Set aside until bright green in colour and tender crisp (~2mins). Refresh under cold running water and drain well.
- In a medium sized bowl place the cut up apples and 1 tbs lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- Dressing: Pour in the sour cream, 1 tsp water and 1 tsp honey into small pouring jug and gently mix together. Gradually add the remaining lemon juice and stir until smooth.
- Once chicken is slightly cool, thinly slice across the grain. Place the chicken, apple mixture, beans, celery and lettuce into a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Place salad onto plates and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and serve immediately.