Middle eastern chicken with Baba ganoush Serves 4
½ cup Bulghur (cracked) wheat
1 1/2 tblsp olive oil, plus 1 tblsp extra
2 tblsp lemon juice, plus 1 whole lemon thinly sliced
1 tblsp Moroccan spice
4 skinless chicken Marylands
2 tomatoes, seeded & finely chopped
1 small beetroot, peeled, grated
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 cup mint leaves or flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 large eggplant, halved
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ cup tahini
2 tblspn greek yoghurt
2 tblsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Place cracked wheat in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak 1 hr.
- Cut criss-cross pattern in eggplant surface and push garlic slices in. Wrap each ½ in foil and bake until tender (50-60 mins).
- Meanwhile, combine oil, juice and spice and rub over the chicken pieces. Place on a rack over a baking dish, top with extra lemon slices and bake for 45-50 mins or until cooked. Cover with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
- When eggplant is cool, scrape out flesh and transfer to a food processor with remaining ingredients. Process until smooth and season to taste.
- To make the tabouli: Drain soaked wheat and transfer to bowl with tomato, beetroot, onion, herbs and extra oil.
- Serve chicken with tabouli and baba ganoush.
Spanish style roast chicken Serves 4
400g small new potatoes, halved
3 capsicums (red, green, yellow) seeded and thickly sliced
1 red onion, sliced
2 tblsp olive oil, plus 1 tblsp extra
12 chicken lovely legs
1 tblsp thyme leaves
1 tblsp rosemary leaves
250g cherry tomatoes
¼ cup black olives
¼ cup orange juice
½ cup wine or stock
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 200C. in a baking dish toss potatoes, capsicum and onions in oil. Bake 10 mins.
- Arrange chicken on the vegies. Drizzle with extra oil and sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Season to taste and bake 25 mins.
- Scatter tomatoes and olives over chicken. Pour in juice and wine. Bake for further 10-15 mins until chicken is cooked. Scatter with parsley to serve.
These recipes are adapted from Women's Day.