Coconut date bars Makes 8 bars
1 cup chopped dried dates
¾ cup raw almonds or cashews
½ cup shredded coconut
- Soak dates in warm water for 5 minutes. Drain and add all ingredients to a food processor. Process until the mixture forms a ball
- Roll into a tight ball and wrap loosely with plastic wrap.
- Roll out into a 15cm square and then tidy up the edges with a butter knife.
- Cut into small squares.
Energy: 770kJ Protein: 4.3g Total fat: 10.2g Saturated fat: 4g
Carbohydrate: 18.1g Sugars 16.3g Sodium: 36.6mg
Oaty fruit nut and seed bar Makes 16 bars
50g oat bran
90g buckwheat flour
250ml apple or coconut juice
60g dried apricots
2 ½ tbspns maple syrup/honey
80g sesame seeds
40g pumpkin seeds
40g sunflower seeds
50g raw almonds, chopped
125g dried cranberries
1 tspn cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a 20cm X 30cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Spread gently onto the tray. Do not press down.
- Bake for about 30-35 mins or until crisp.
- Cut into 16 pieces while still warm.
- Remove from tin when cool
Energy: 776kJ Protein: 5.4g Total fat: 8.3g Saturated fat: 1g
Carbohydrate: 20.8g Sugars 10g Sodium: 5.8mg
Gluten free bar Makes 10 bars
1½ cups chopped assorted nuts & seeds, raw or oven roasted
1/3 cup crisp brown rice cereal
½ cup chopped dried fruit
1/3 cup corn or rice syrup
- Pre-heat oven 180C. Line 20 square baking tray with paper. Spray with oil.
- Stir together the nuts, seeds fruit and cereal in a large bowl.
- Add the syrup and stir until evenly coasted.
- Transfer the mix to the pan. Place a large piece of baking paper or plastic wrap (coated with oil spray) face down on top of the mixture and press firmly to spread the mixture evenly and compact. Discard the top paper/plastic.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until slightly browned at edge but still a little soft in centre. Cool for 20 mins on a rack.
- Lift the mix from pan, transfer to a cutting board and cut into 10 bars.
Energy: 825kJ Protein: 5.2g Total fat: 11.5g Saturated fat: 1.6g
Carbohydrate: 17.7g Sugars 11.5g Sodium: 11.6mg
No Bake Blueberry and nut bars Makes 16 bars
1½ cups rolled oats
¾ cup almonds
½ cup dried blueberries or cranberries
½ cup pistachios
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
¼ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup maple syrup or honey
¼ cup pureed apple
1 cup almond butter
- Line 20 x 20 cm baking tray with baking paper so that it hangs over the edge.
- Combine the oats, nuts and seeds in a large bowl.
- Add maple syrup or honey and apple and mix to combine.
- Add almond butter to mixture and mix well.
- Press mixture into the pan pressing down firmly and evenly.
- Place in freezer for about 1 hour.
- Remove pan from freezer. Lift slab out by the paper. Set down and peel paper away. Slice into 8 long bars, then in ½ to make 16.
- Store in fridge or freezer in a sealed bag or container.
Energy: 1100kJ Protein: 8g Total fat: 19g Saturated fat: 1.9g
Carbohydrate: 14.1g Sugars 7.9g Sodium: 4.9mg
Goji berry energy bars Makes 16 bars
1 cup walnuts
1 cup almonds
1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 tbspns coconut flour
½ cup agave or maple syrup
1/2 cup cocoa nibs
1 cup Goji berries
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Grind walnuts, almonds and pepitas in a food processor. Add the dates and pulse a few times.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Spread into a 20 x 20 cm baking dish. Bake for 20 mins.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Energy: 1004kJ Protein: 6.1g Total fat: 17.5g Saturated fat: 1.6g
Carbohydrate: 14.1g Sugars 8.2g Sodium: 11.7 mg
5 Minute Granola bars Makes 12 bars
1 ¾ cup oats
1 cup puffed brown rice cereal
3/4 cup mixed seeds
¼ cup ground flaxseed
¼ cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup rice syrup
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tspn vanilla extract
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl mix together the wet ingredients, then microwave for 20-30 secs. This makes it easy to mix together.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Place in a shallow pan and press down to spread evenly and flatten the mixture.
- Refrigerate until firm then cut into squares or bars.
Energy: 998kJ Protein: 8.2g Total fat: 12.2g Saturated fat: 2.3g
Carbohydrate: 23.4g Sugars 12g Sodium: 40.3mg