Spinach and Ricotta Chicken Involtini with Polenta Serves 4
1 small packet English spinach leaves
1/3 cup low-fat fresh ricotta
Pinch of ground nutmeg
4 x skinless chicken breast fillets, approx. 500g
1 red onion
1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
2 ½ cups water
2 tsp salted capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
2 cups skim milk
1 cup instant polenta
Fresh continental parsley (chopped to serve)
- Place spinach in heatproof bowl, cover with boiled water. Set aside for 30 seconds to blanch. Refresh under cold running water. Drain. Squeeze out excess liquid. Finely chop and place in a bowl. Stir in ricotta and nutmeg. Season with pepper.
- Place 1 chicken breast between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken until about 5mm thick. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Place 1/4 of the spinach mixture in the centre of 1 chicken piece and roll up to enclose. Use a toothpick to secure. Repeat with the remaining chicken and spinach mixture
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato, ½ cup water and the capers. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and then simmer, turning once, for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking bring the milk and the remaining water to the boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the polenta in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until the mixture thickens
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley. Serve with polenta
Chermoula Fish Tagine Serves 6
1 kg firm white fish
1 tbs olive oil
1 brown onion
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
400g can diced tomatoes
½ cup fish stock
Fresh mint leaves (to serve)
Lemon wedges (to serve)
¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
1 large red chilli, halved, seeded, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Large pinch saffron
1tbs cumin seeds
1 lemon, juiced
- To make the Chermoula: Combine the coriander, parsley, chilli, garlic, saffron, cumin and lemon juice in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Cut fish into strips about 6cm long and 4cm wide. Add to the Chermoula. Toss to combine. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a 28cm flameproof Tagine over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and carrot, stirring for 8 minutes or until the onion softens.
- Add tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Place the fish on top of the onion mixture. Cover and cook for 10 mins or until the fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Top with mint leaves and serve with lemon wedge.