Mexican Beef Salad Serves 4
Olive oil spray
500-700g lean rump steak, fat removed
1 bag baby spinach
1 x 420g can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
310g can corn kernals, drained
4 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 Lebanese cucumbers, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 cup coriander leaves
Reduced fat natural yoghurt, to serve
- Spray a non-stick pan or BBQ with oil and heat to medium-high heat. Cook the steak in 1-2 large pieces until cooked medium rare (approx 3-4 mins per side) or until cooked to your liking. Place on a plate, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 mins while making salad.
- On 4 plates, scatter spinach leaves, kidney beans, corn kernals, tomato, avocado, cucumber, capsicum and coriander.
- Slice beef across the grain and layer on top of salad. Top with yoghurt and serve.
Balsamic steak with Mediterrean salad Serves 4
1 tblsp fresh or dried thyme leaves
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
600-800g rump steak, cut in to 4 portions
2 slices grainy bread
1 garlic clove, cut in half
2 medium red onions, cut in to thin wedges
2 tblsp olive oil
½ cup 98% fat free semi dried tomatoes
1 bag baby rocket
¼ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Combine thyme, 2 tblsp balsamic, 1 tblsp oil in a glass dish, add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refirgerate for 30 mins.
- Toast bread until crunchy and brown. Rub cut garlic on toast while still warm and cut in to bit size pieces.
- Heat oil in non-stick frypan or BBQ until medium-high heat. Cook steaks 2-4 mins or per side or until cooked to your liking. Place on a plate, cover with foil and rest for 5 mins.
- Add onion to pain with extra oil if required and cook for 8-10 mins until softened.
- Meanwhile, divide rocket, tomatoes, parmesan between plates. Scatter over bread croutons.
- Place steaks and onions on plates, serve.