Lamb and vegetable pasta salad Serves 4
600g lean lamb steak/backstraps
1/2 tblsp olive oil
800g pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and diced into cubes
250g pasta bows
150g green beans, trimmed and sliced
100g baby spinach leaves
125g fresh ricotta cheese
2 tblsp toasted pine nuts
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and place pumpkin on a tray lined with baking paper. Spray with oil and roast for 25-30 mins or until golden and tender.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water as per instructions, add beans for the last 2 mins of cooking time. Drain.
- Meanwhile, grill lamb for 2-3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Rest for 5 minutes loosely covered with foil. Slice thinly.
- Toss pasta, beans, pumpkin, sliced lamb, spinach, ricotta and olive oil together. Serve garnished with toasted pine nuts.
Cheesy sausage risoni (from AIS Survival for the active family cookbook) Serves 4
500g lean beef sausages
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 carrot, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 green capsicum, diced
1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
3 cups beef stock
1 ½ cups risoni
½ cup grated parmesan
- Cook sausages in a non-stick pan 6-8 minutes until browned. Remove and cut into bite- sized pieces.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, capsicum and chilli sauce to pan and cook for 5 mins until tender.
- Add stock, risoni and sausages, stir well to combine. Simmer gently, covered, for 12 mins, stirring halfway through cooking time, or until risoni is cooked.
- Stir through parmesan, then let stand, covered, for 5 mins before serving.
Salmon and pea pasta (from AIS Survival for the active family cookbook) Serves 4
1 cup frozen peas
4 spring onions, sliced
400g can red salmon, drained
zest of 1 lemon
¾ cup extra light cream
1/2 cup reduced fat grated cheese
Dill and cracked pepper to serve
- Cook pasta until tender. Add peas to pasta for last minute. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, spray a pan with oil, cook spring onions, salmon, lemon zest and cream for 5 mins. Return pasta to pan and sprinkle with cheese. Gently heat until warmed through.
- Season with pepper and sprinkle with dill to serve.