Bircher Muesli Pancakes Makes 4 serves
1 & ¾ cups rolled oats
1 cup reduced fat milk
1 cup reduced fat vanilla yoghurt, plus extra to serve
2 tblspns honey
4 apples, peeled, cored and ¼’d
1 tblspn water
½ tspn cinnamon
finely grated rind of 1/ lemon
½ cup plain wholemeal flour
1 ½ tspns baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
olive oil spray
- Combine the oats, milk, yoghurt and honey in a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight.
- Place apples, water, cinnamon and lemon in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until apple is softened.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the oat mixture. Stir the beaten eggs into the batter until just smooth.
- Spray a non-stick pan with oil and heat to medium-high. Pour ¼ cup of batter into the pan and cook until bubbles form, turn and cook the other side. Remove and cover to keep warm.
- Arrange 4 pancakes as a stack, top with apple and extra yoghurt.
Quinoa, chicken and fetta salad Makes 4 serves
2 tblpns chopped mint
2 tblspns chopped Italian parsley
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tblspn olive oil
500g skinless chicken pieces (tenderloins or thighs)
200g quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 bunch asparagus or broccolini, cut into 4cm lengths
250g reduced fat fetta, crumbled
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
50g baby rocket
1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- Mix mint, parsley, lemon juice and oil. Pour ½ of the dressing over the chicken to marinate and reserve rest for the salad.
- Boil qinoa for 10-12 mins, or until just tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Spray chicken and asparagus or broccolini lightly with oil and bbq/char-grill over high heat until chicken is cooked through. Rest for 5 mins and slice.
Add sliced chicken, asparagus/broccolini, fetta, spring onions, rocket and pomegranate seeds to the quinoa. Drizzle with reserved dressing. Toss.
Beetroot ricotta and turkey sandwich Makes 4 serves
225g can of beetroot, drained
1 cup firm ricotta
2 tblpns chopped chives
8 slices wholegrain bread or 4 wholegrain wraps
300g lean sliced or shaved turkey breast
50g mixed greens
1 small Lebanese cucumber sliced
- Blend the beetroot, ricotta and chives until smooth.
- Spread beetroot mix over one side of each piece of bread or wrap. Add turkey, greens and cucumber.
Ricotta and cherry protein balls Makes 10
¼ cup oatbran
2/3 cup hazelnut meal
250g firm ricotta
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
¼ cup chopped dried cherries or cranberries
1/4 cup chopped dried pears
¼ cup skim milk powder or whey protein powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup chia seeds
- Mix oatbran, hazelnut meal, ricotta, honey or syrup, dried fruit, milk or protein powder and cinnamon in a large bowl until well combined.
- Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of the mix into balls with your hands. Put chia seeds in a sealable plastic bag, add balls a few at a time and shake to coat.
- Can be kept in fridge for up to 3 days.
Banana and kiwi breakfast smoothie Serves 2
1 cup reduced fat natural yoghurt
1 cup reduced fat milk (your choice)
2 tspns honey or syrup
1 tbspn rolled oats
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
NB this can be FODMAPS friendly using your preferred milk and yoghurt
Thanks to Dairy Australia for these delicious recipes.