Lentil, bacon & sweet potato soup Serves 4
3 cups (750mL) salt reduced chicken stock
2 tsp olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
200g lean shortcut bacon
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g sweet potato, peeled & cut in to 1cm cubes
400g can no-added salt lentils, rinsed, drained
400g can no-salt diced tomatoes
250g broccoli, cut in to small florets
fresh continental parsley, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, celery, bacon and garlic, until soft. Add the sweet potato. Cook, stirring for 1 minute or until combined.
2. Add the stock, lentils and tomato. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer, partially covered for 15-20 mins or until sweet potato is tender. Add the broccoli and simmer for 3-4 mins or until broccoli is tender crisp.
3. Divide the soup among bowls and top with parsley.
Low-fat salmon laksa Serves 4
200g vermicelli noodles
2tsp peanut oil
¼ cup laksa paste
1L reduced salt chicken stock
1 can light coconut milk
1 stem lemongrass, pale section only, bruised.
600g skinless salmon, divided in to 4
2 bunches broccolini, halved
1 medium carrot, cut in to matchsticks
1 tblsp lime juice
150g bean sprouts
½ cup mint leaves, torn
lime wedges, to serve
1. Boil water and place noodles in the water to soften. Drain when just soft. Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add laksa paste and cook until fragrant. Add the stock, coconut milk and lemon grass. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Remove lemongrass.
3. Add the salmon, broccolini and carrot, cook for 3 mins. Stir in lime juice.
4. Divide the noodles and bean sprouts between 4 bowls. Top with a salmon fillet. Ladle over broth. Sprinkle over mint and serve with lime wedge.