Eat Smart's Lauren loves to entertain so her favourite recipes are those that can be shared! These quick and easy but delicious prawns can be served skewered for easy outdoor entertaining or can be plated on a salad for an elegant entree. The meatballs are incredibly tasty and even those that don't like eggplant will find these delicious! The meatballs can be served with toothpicks for easy eating or can be served with pita breads, tzatiki and salad as a meal.
Lauren’s Thai Style BBQ Prawns Makes 12 skewers
1 stem lemongrass, pale section only, coarsely chopped
8 kaffir lime leaves, coarsely chopped
2 fresh chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
½ bunch coriander, coarsely chopped
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
36 green prawns (fresh or frozen, deveined, tail on or off)
2 tblsp rice wine vinegar
2 tblsp light soy sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt & pepper
- Blend the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, chilli, garlic, ginger, coriander, oils and soy sauce until finely chopped.
- Thread the prawns on to skewers (3 per small skewer) and place in a glass dish. Cover the prawns with the spice mixture and turn to coat. Marinate for 30 mins in the refrigerator.
- To make the dressing: whisk all ingredients and season to taste.
- Heat a BBQ or char-grill on high. Cook prawns for ~4 mins, turning occasionally until they change colour.
- Can be served with a salad of baby Asian greens mixed with fresh mint if desired.
Lauren’s Fetta & Eggplant Meatball Makes ~ 20 meatballs
1 large eggplant, diced into 1 cm cubes
Olive oil spray
500g lean beef mince
1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/3 cup mint leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tblsp finely grated lemon rind
200g reduced fat fetta, crumbled
Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spray an oven tray with oil and lay eggplant in one layer over tray. Spray again with oil. Roast eggplant for 20 mins or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place the eggplant, beef, parsley, mint, garlic, lemon rind, fetta and pepper in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Spray a non-stick pan with oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 3-4 mins or until browned. Repeat with all meatballs.
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 5-6 mins or until cooked through.
- Serve with tzatiki and a salad if desired.