Back to school is here again! If you’re already out of enticing ideas for the school lunch box, try these kid friendly options.
Tuna, corn & cheese pies Makes 12
12 slices multigrain bread
425g tuna in springwater, drained
Large handful baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
125g corn kernels, drained
½ cup reduced fat cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 12 holes 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan. Using a rolling pin, flatten bread and line muffin pan with bread slices.
- Whisk eggs in a large jug. Mix tuna, spinach, corn & cheese. Divide amongst bread cases. Pour egg mixture into bread moulds.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until eggs are set. Stand for 5 mins. Remove pies from pan. Cool and wrap in plastic wrap ready of school. Refrigerate.
Mediterranean Rice Cakes Makes 6 large or 12 small
2/3 cup Basmati rice
1 smoked chicken breast, diced
2/3 cup fat free semi-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 spring onions, sliced
¼ cup basil leaves, finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Grease a Texas or normal size muffin pan.
- Cook rice as per instructions on packet. Allow to cool.
- Combine rice, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, onion, basil and eggs. Season to taste.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 mins until cakes are firm to the touch. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to complete cooling. Wrap in plastic wrap ready for lunches.
Other Lunch box ideas
- Fruit skewers with yoghurt dip
- Veggie dippers with hommos
- Leftover roast meat with salad on a wrap
- Leftover chicken, cut up apple & lettuce salad
- Leftover veggies mixed with egg and cheese made into fritters
- Tuna mixed with creamed corn
- 4 bean mix mixed with mild salsa, cheese & avocado
- Crackers with cheese & tomato
- Can of baked beans