In honour of World IBD Day (last week), we have decided to write a short blog on what inflammatory bowel…
Now that the weather is cooking down we thought it would be a good time to give show you some winter warmer recipes, that not only warm you from the inside out, but are loaded with immune boosting foods!
Grilled vegetable meatball pasta
⁃ 1 zucchini
⁃ 1 capsicum
⁃ 3 large mushrooms
⁃ 1 red onion
⁃ 3 cloves of garlic
⁃ 1 packet masterfoods Tuscan meatball sauce
⁃ 1 can diced tomatoes
⁃ Olive oil
⁃ Mixed herbs
⁃ 500g lean beef mince
⁃ 1/3 cup bread crumbs (or 1 slice bread blitzed)
⁃ 1 egg
1. Slice red onion, zucchini and capsicum into strips. Coat in olive oil salt and pepper and mixed herbs. On a bbq or in a grill pan cook veg until charred and soft.
2. Chop all charred veg into a medium dice.
3. In a large sauce pan heat some oil and brown off crushed garlic.
4. Add to the sauce pan chopped roasted veg, Tuscan sauce and diced tomatoes. Fill up empty can of diced tomatoes half way with water and add to pan. Leave this to simmer.
5. In a large bowl, mix together all meatball ingredients.
6. Roll mince mixture into 16 meat balls, place in the simmering tomato sauce.
7. Cook for around 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through, turning balls every couple of minutes.
8. Serve with any pasta you like and optional extra veg and parmesan.
Chille Con carne/ Mexican burrito bowl
500 grams lean mince
1 tin peeled tomatoes (440g)
½ cup fresh mushrooms
1 zucchini (grated)
1 small red capsicum
2 medium onions
1 can mexi – beans or red kidney beans (drained) (440g)
2 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 jar salsa or taco sauce
1. Spray large frying pan/pot with oil and lightly sauté chopped onions & garlic for 5 mins.
2. Add mince and cook for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, herbs, and chopped vegetables. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Add taco sauce, drained beans and tomato paste, and flavour as desired with extra chilli sauce or powder. Serve with grated cheese, avocado and optional pita chips.
Thai chicken noodle soup
500g chicken thigh (trimmed of all the fat and cut into strips)
1 x onion
1 tsp oil
½ jar thai red curry paste
1 cup coconut milk
500ml chicken stock
3 x bok choy bulbs
1 x head broccoli OR 1 x bunch broccolini (chopped into bite size pieces
½ bag bean shoots
1 cup snow peas
200g vermicelli noodles
1. In a large fry pan, heat thai red curry paste until becomes fragrant – after around 1 minute add chicken and continue to stir fry.
2. Add onion and all other vegetables and stir fry for 1 minute. Keep some bean shoot for the top.
3. Add coconut milk and stock and let simmer.
4. In a large bowl, place dry vermicelli noodles and cover with boiling water – stand for 5 minutes.
5. Add noodles to fry pan, and stir through.
6. Serve with extra bean shoots on top and some fresh lime wedges.
Make sure to send through any photos of you at home using these recipes. Happy Cooking!