Get ready for some AMAZING fruit and vege during summer!
Why do we love seasonal fruit and vege?
- TASTES GREAT– when fruit and vege is in abundance and picked at it’s peak, you can bet it will taste a lot better than if it has been stored for some time or has travelled from the other side of the world
- BETTER FOR YOU– when fruit and vege is fresh it absolutely has greater nutritional value. Antioxidants such as vitamin C, folate and carotenes can decrease quite rapidly with storage and/or transport, so the fresher the better!
- SUPPORTS LOCALS– Supporting locals is a “feel-good” experience. Not only are we helping out the people in our community, it is often cheaper to buy from smaller shops or farmer’s markets and they produce is so much fresher. Also, the kids can’t pester you for a chocolate when you’re at the checkout! BONUS!
- NATURAL SUPPORT FOR YOUR BODY – Seasonal fruits often help nourish us with the vitamins we need through different times of year. Citrus fruits are often best in winter and the vitamin C can help with keeping that cold/flu away. Likewise, the beta-carotenes in stone fruit (hello summer!) can help protect again sun damage (yes you still need to slip, slop, slap!).
Of course, some fruit and vege are available and in season all year round – take kiwifruit for example or lemon.
Brisbane and QLD seasonal fruits:
- Red apples
- Green apple
- Red grapes
- Green grapes
- Broad beans
- Green beans
- Many vegetables are available all year round, so not really seasonal – which is fantastic!
Of course, there are other fruit and vege in season in other parts of the country, so if you don’t mind your produce coming from another Aussie town, there are more options!