Too many Easter Eggs? 5 tips to get back on track
Written by Marika Day APD
Feeling a little off after a weekend of chocolate and little exercise? Don’t worry you aren’t the only one! Below are our Eat Smart top tips to help you get back to being healthy after a weekend of indulgence.
- Relax: So you over indulged on chocolate? Who didn’t! The first step to getting back to healthy eating is to get rid of the guilt. One weekend of over indulgence isn’t going to set back your health.
- Remove the “all or nothing attitude”: You may be saying to yourself “I’ll start once I’ve finished all the chocolate” or “If I finish all the chocolate today, I can start tomorrow”. This sort of thinking is not helpful. Start now; regardless of how much chocolate you have left in the house. Keep the chocolate you have left for your occasional treat, or give any excess away to family and friends. Remember to tell yourself it is ok to enjoy chocolate!
- Remember why you started: Re-assess your goals. Write down your health and weight goals and take a look at why you are doing this. Plan out your week and make time for yourself to enjoy your exercise for what it is- does it make you feel strong? Does it give you energy for the day ahead? Does it help to relieve stress? Try not to focus your exercise on just weight loss and the guilt associated with the weekend that was!
- Re-stock the house with healthy food: Plan your healthy meals and snacks for the week, write a shopping list and stock the house with healthy foods. Be careful of discounted chocolate at the supermarket though!! It is much easier to say no once in the supermarket than it is to say no one hundred times at the cupboard.
- Nourish your body! Eat regular meals! While you may feel like skipping meals due to over indulgence it is important to continue with your regular meal and snack times. Incorporate plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein and wholegrains into your meals to rejuvenate your body. Keep portion sizes small if you’re still feeling full from the weekend.