Sensational Salad ideas
From Holly, Kerry, Lauren, Rebecca, Joseph, Marika, Amelia and Kellie
TOMATO AND POMEGRANATE SALAD – serves 4
200g red cherry tomatoes, diced
200g yellow cherry tomatoes, diced
200g kumatos, diced
4 med vine tomatoes, diced
1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp ground allspice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 ½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
2 dsspns olive oil (plus extra to drizzle)
1 pomegranate, seeds removed
1 tbsp oregano leaves, to garnish
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, capsicum and onion, set aside
- In a small bowl whisk the garlic, allspice, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, oil and a little salt, until well combined. Pour over the tomatoes and mix gently.
- Arrange the tomatoes and dressing on a serving plate. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and oregano and drizzle with some extra oil.
GREEN SALAD – serves 4-6
300g asparagus, trimmed &sliced thinly on the diagonal
200g green beans, topped & tailed
300g broad beans (fresh or frozen)
50g baby spinach leaves
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
1red chilli, finely diced
½ tsp sesame oil
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp nigella seeds (if unavailable try cumin seeds)
- Blanch or steam the asparagus, drain and transfer to a bowl of iced water.
- Steam the beans for 5 mins and transfer to the asparagus bowl. Drain both well, then dry with a clean tea towel.
- Steam the broad beans for 2 mins, drain, refresh and dry, then remove and discard the skins by gently pressing each bean between finger and thumb.
- Put the greens in a large bowl, add the spinach and all remaining ingredients. Season to taste and stir gently.
(Thanks to chef Yokam Ottolenghi for these recipe ideas)