Lime and Blueberry Friands (Makes 24)
3 Egg Whites
90g Unsalted Butter
1 whole lime rind, finely grated
1/2 cup almond meal (can include a modified almond with quinoa or omega 3)
1/4 cup organic wholemeal spelt flour
3/4 cup pure icing sugar
24 frozen blueberries
Extra pure icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease either a 24-hole or 2 12-hole mini muffin pans with a small amount of macadamia oil.
- Place egg whites into a bowl and whisk until thick and frothy.
- Melt butter in microwave proof bowl. Once melted add lime rind, almond meal and sifted pure icing sugar and mix until ingredients are blended.
- Add butter mixture to the egg whites and stir until well combined.
- Drop heaped teaspoons of the mixture into each muffin hole and top with ONE blueberry (push down alittle but not too much)
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes (does not have to turn brown). Stand on wire rack for 5-10 minutes and then turn out onto rack to cool. Before serving sprinkling with extra pure icing sugar (use a sifter over top to ensure no clumps of icing sugar come out)
These can be placed in an air tight container and can last upto 5 days. Can also be placed in freezer for upto 1 month.
Per Friand: 297kJ (71 calories)
Banana Bread (No added sugar) Serves 12
¾ cup mashed banana
1/3 cup macadamia oil
2 large eggs
½ cup apple sauce or stewed apples
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped nuts (raw/unsalted)
- Beat together mashed banana, oil, and eggs until creamy.
- Place the baking soda in the ½ cup apple sauce/stewed apples (this will ferment and bubble alittle). Mix in carefully to the wet banana mixture.
- Add vanilla, flour, baking powder and spices. Beat well. Stir in nuts.
- Spoon batter into loaf pan. Spread batter evenly.
- Bake at 160°C for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
Per serving: 972kJ (230 calories)