Kerry and Lauren prepare pre-game fuelling and post-game recovery for our Roar football players. What are their favourite selections?
Banana bread, date & fruit loaf and protein balls. Players will often use the banana bread and date & fruit loaf to top up glycogen (energy) levels before the game while protein balls proved a hit for recovery after the game. Would you like to eat what the elite athletes eat to optimise their performance and recovery? Here you go!
Banana Bread (serves 8 or slice smaller for non-athletes)
2 tbsp oil
3 large ripe bananas
½ cup sugar
½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups plain flour
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Preheat oven to 180’C.
- Mash banana with fork.
- Add the egg, oil, milk, sugar, salt, soda and baking powder. Beat well.
- Gently blend in the flour and mix lightly.
- Pour into a lightly greased loaf tin. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before taking out of pan.
Healthy Date & Fruit Loaf (serves 8 - or slice smaller for non-athletes)
½ cup chopped dates
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
½ cup shredded coconut
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup chopped apricots
½ cup sugar
1 cup low fat milk
- Mix all ingredients together and bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes.
Protein Balls Makes 30
3 scoops WPI Vanilla Protein Powder
6 tbs Sustagen Sport (Chocolate)
3 tbs Cocoa powder or cacao
5 tbs Chia Seeds (Black)
2 cups Almond Meal
½ Cup Coconut (shredded)
1 ½ cup light Smooth Peanut Butter
1 cup Honey
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Place Peanut butter and honey in microwave safe bowl and heat for 35-40 seconds and mix well until blended smooth
- Pour mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Use hands to knead ingredients together.
- Roll into small balls and place into fridge to set.