Healthy chicken laksa Serves 4
1/3 cup Laksa paste
2 x 375ml cans reduced fat evaporated milk
400g chicken breast fillets, sliced
1 cup trimmed and chopped beans
125g baby corn spears, sliced lengthways
½ cup sliced red capsicum
350g Hokkein noodles
¾ cup bean sprouts
2 spring onions, sliced
2 tbspns mint leaves
2 tbspns coriander leaves
Lime wedges to serve
- Heat a non-stick saucepan over med-high heat. Add laksa paste and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until fragrant. Add evaporated milk and bring to boil.
- Add chicken, beans and corn, reduce heat and simmer 3 mins. Add capsicum and noodles and simmer a further 3-5 mins or until chicken cooked through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with remaining ingredients to garnish. Serve.
Moroccan chicken and chickpea rice pilaf Serves 4
1 tbspn sunflower oil
2 large onions, finely sliced
400g chicken breast, diced
1 tbspn Moroccan spice blend
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed & drained
2 x 420g cans chickpeas, rinsed & drained
½ cup chopped dates
2 cups diced pumpkin
700ml salt-reduced chicken stock
2 cinnamon sticks (optional)
1 cup frozen green peas
Natural yoghurt, lemon wedges and fresh coriander to serve
Steamed green beans with toasted flaked almonds, to serve
- Heat ½ the oil in a large heavy based frypan with a lid. Cook onions over med heat for 10 mins. Set aside ½ the onions. Add remaining oil and chicken, cooking until cooked through. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
- Add garlic, rice, chickpeas, dates and pumpkin and stir to coat with spices.
- Add stock and scrape the bottom of the pan. Make sure the stock covers the chicken, add the cinnamon sticks and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove lid, add peas, stir gently and cook covered for another 5 mins.
- Top with reserved onions and coriander. Serve with lemon wedges and yoghurt on the side.
TIP: You could use lean lamb instead of chicken and any range of available vegetables eg zucchini, broccoli, capsicum.