These delicious main meal salads combine a lean protein with quality carbs, some healthy fats and nutrient packed veggies to create a balanced lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
Poached chicken, quinoa, pumpkin and dukkah salad
4 poached chicken breasts
500g pumpkin, cut into 1cm wedges
2 teaspoons Dukkah (extra to sprinkle)
1 cup quinoa
1 ¾ cups water
2 celery sticks, sliced
4 small radishes, sliced
¼ cup dried cranberries
2 tbsps pepitas, lightly toasted
1 bunch watercress, leaves picked
1 tbsp lemon juice
50g Persian fetta & 2tbps oil from jar
To poach chicken:
Place chicken breasts in bottom of a heavy-bottomed pot or pan. They should fit in a single layer but fit quite snugly. Cover chicken with stock or water. Add some herbs. Bring to boil, then quickly reduce heat to low so that the water is barely at a simmer. Partly cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat completely, and allow chicken to remain in hot water for 15-20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Place pumpkin on a lined baking dish, spray or drizzle with oil of your choice and sprinkle with Dukkah. Roast for 25 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile place quinoa and water in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 12-15 mins until water has evaporated and quinoa is tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place quinoa, celery, radish, cranberries, pepitas and watercress in a large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and oil from fetta.
- Place pumpkin on plates, top with quinoa mixture and sliced poached chicken, then crumble fetta over the top. Sprinkle with some extra dukkah.
Eggplant, lentil and pinenut salad
400g sweet potato, peeled, sliced thinly
4 baby eggplant, sliced thinly
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
1 small garlic clove, crushed
¼ tspn smoked paprika
1 lemon, juiced
½ cup Greek yoghurt
400g can lentils, rinsed & drained
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
½ cup flat leaf parsley leaves
2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Pre-heat grill to high. Lightly brush sweet potato and eggplant slices with olive oil and place on large baking tray with cherry tomatoes. Cook under grill for 3-4 mins. Remove tomatoes, turn sweet potato and eggplant and cook for further 2-3 mins, then set aside.
- Meanwhile combine garlic, paprika, lemon juice and yoghurt in a small bowl.
- Combine sweet potato, eggplant, tomatoes, lentils, pinenuts, parsley and spinach in a bowl. Serve onto 4 plates with a dollop of yoghurt dressing.