Fried Rice Serves 4
100g school prawns, cooked
100g eye bacon rashers, trimmed of fat, diced finely
2 large eggs, whisked
1 tsp sesame oil
½ chinese cabbage (wombok), shredded
1 medium carrot, cut in to fine matchsticks
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 green capsicum, sliced
2 cups cooked brown rice (approx ¾ raw rice should make 2 cups)
2 tblsp salt reduced soy sauce
2 tbslp kecap manis (sweet soy) sauce
¼ cup lightly toasted cashews
6 spring onions, sliced
1. Heat a non-stick pan and spray with oil. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen towel until required.
2. Heat sesame oil in a the same frypan. Add cabbage, carrot and capsicums and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the rice, cook for a further 2 mins. Add the sauces, the prawns, bacon and ½ the spring onions. Toss to combine. Add the egg and mix until egg is just cooked.
4. Serve on 4 plates, topped with cashews and remaining spring onions.
Lemon, spinach & asparagus risotto with char-grilled chicken Serves 6
1 litre salt-reduced chicken stock
2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut in to 3cm pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
2 tblsp finely chopped fresh sage
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
600g chicken breast fillets
100g goats cheese
1 bag baby spinach
1. Place stock and 2 cups cold water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Add asparagus to stock, cook for 2-3 mins until just tender. Remove asparagus and put in fridge until required.
2. Heat a non-stick pan and spray with oil. Cook onion and garlic until soft, about 5 mins. Add rice. Reduce heat to low. Add ½ cup stock mixture at a time to the rice mixture and stir until stock absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock, ½ cup at a time, until all stock is absorbed and rice is tender and creamy.
3. Meanwhile, combine ½ the sage with the lemon rind. Add chicken fillets and a spray of oil in a medium bowl. Toss chicken in mixture. Heat char-grill and add chicken. Cook for 3-4 mins each side or until cooked through. Rest for 5 mins and then slice thinly.
4. Stir goat’s cheese, asparagus and spinach through risotto. Serve topped with sliced chicken. Scatter with remaining sage leaves and a sprinkle of cracked pepper.