When its too cook to slave over a hot stove, make it a main meal salad. Fresh, tasty, healthy and best of all require minimal cooking! Enjoy
Lamb, mango & pecan salad Serves 4
750g lean lamb, trimmed
olive oil spray
2 lebanese cucumbers
1/3 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
120g baby rocket, washed, dried
100g snow peas, topped and cut in half diagonally
½ cup low fat yoghurt
1 tblsp mango chutney
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray lamb with oil and season to taste. Add lamb to the frying pan. Cook for 3-4 mins each side, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 10 mins. Slice across the grain.
- Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, make ribbons of cucumber lengthwise down the cucumber. Cut mango flesh in to cubes.
- Mix yoghurt and chutney in a screw top jar.
- Arrange rocket and snow peas on a platter, top with cucumber and mango. Arrange lamb on top. Sprinkle with pecans.
Blackened Chicken San Fran Salad Serves 4
1 cup dry quinoa
1 fresh chilli (optional)
1 bag baby spinach
4 spring onions, trimmed
1 bunch each coriander & mint
1 large mango
Juice of 2 limes
1 ripe avocado
50g reduced fat feta cheese
1 packet cress/alfalfa/snowpea sprouts
400g skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 heaped tsp Allspice
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
2 capsicums (different colours if possible)
4 tblsp low fat natural yoghurt
- Put the quinoa in a heat proof bowl and over with boiled water and cover with a lid.
- Finely chop the chilli and spring onion. Finely chop (kitchen scissors works well!) the coriander and mint.
- Toss the chicken with the spices and season to taste. Put in a hot frying pan or on the BBQ to cook until blackened and cooked through. (Pierce with a knife, if juices run clear its cooked) Remove once cooked, allow to rest for 5 mins then slice.
- Cut the capsicum into large strips and add to the frying pan or BBQ.
- Chop the mango flesh and avocado in to cubes.
- Drain the quinoa well. Mix the chilli, onion, herbs and lime juice in to the quinoa.
- Arrange the spinach on a large platter or serving bowl. Top with quinoa mixture, avoado and mango. Top with capsicum and chicken.
- Crumble over fetta and dollop yoghurt. Serve!