Having the family over for Easter celebrations? Cook a healthy meal which is full of flavour to impress the guests. What's for dessert? Everything in moderation so enjoy a little (dark) chocolate of course!
Slow cooked lamb shanks Serves 8
3 sprigs rosemary
2 tblsp dried oregano
8 well trimmed lamb shanks
8 cloves garlic, peeled
¾ cup sherry or white wine
1.5 cups low sodium chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Arrange rosemary across the base of a casserole dish. Add the garlic cloves. Lay the shanks on top and sprinkle with oregano. Season to taste. Top with sherry or wine and stock.
- Cover with a lid or aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour. Turn shanks and return to oven for 1.5 hours or until tender.
- Remove from oven, skim off fat. Serve shanks with remaining pan juices.
NOTE: this recipe may also be cooked in a slow cooker.
Pumpkin and sage mash Serves 8
2kg butternut pumpkin, peeled & chopped
1 medium Desiree or Carisma potato, peeled & chopped
1/3 cup extra-light sour cream
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
¼ cup fresh sage leaves
- Place pumpkin and potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to medium. Cook until tender. Drain and return to saucepan, add sour cream and mash until smooth.
- Spray a non-stick pan with oil, add sage leaves. Stir often, adding crushed garlic as you go. Cook sage and garlic until crisp.
- Serve mash topped with crispy sage & garlic.
Baked Salmon with Pesto potatoes & veggies Serves 4
400g chat potatoes, quartered
4 x 150g salmon fillets
4 thin slices of prosciutto
300g cherry tomatoes, on the vine
400g green beans, topped
2 bunches asparagus
4 tblsp basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 8-10 mins until tender. Drain. Toss pesto through hot potatoes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, wrap a prosciutto slice around the middle of each salmon fillet. Place on a greased baking tray, add cracked black pepper to taste. Bake for 5 mins, then add tomatoes to the tray. Cook for another 4 mins or until salmon is just cooked.
- Meanwhile blanch the beans and asparagus in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain immediately.
- Serve each salmon fillet with pesto potatoes, green beans, asparagus and tomatoes.