Most people know that breakfast is important but do you know why its the most important meal of the day?
New research has shown that eating breakfast is associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes, lower BMI and body fat levels and higher levels of nutrient intake including fibre. We already know that eating breakfast increases concentration, reduces food volume eaten over the whole day and may reduce total calories eaten over the day.
Smart choices for breakfast include:
- Fresh fruit, yoghurt and a sprinkle of natural muesli or a few nuts & seeds
- High fibre cereal with milk, possibly topped with fresh or canned (in fruit juice) fruit
- Porridge with milk topped with fresh, dried or canned fruit for sweetness
- Grainy or wholemeal toast with eggs
- Grainy or wholemeal toast topped with baked beans
- Healthy toastie: lean ham, light cheese & tomato on grain bread (with a scrape of margarine if required)
- Super smoothie: milk, yoghurt, frozen fruit with a spoon of flaxmeal meal or LSA
- Veggie omelette - fill your omelette with any combination of mushrooms, tomato, capsicum, onion, spinach, tomato
- Grain or wholemeal toast spread with peanut butter and topped with sliced banana
- Rye toast topped with egg and smoked salmon
- Grainy or wholemeal toast topped with ricotta, sliced pear & flaked almonds
- Grainy or wholemeal english muffin spread with goats cheese and topped with prunes, flaked almonds & a light drizzle of honey
- Breakfast on the run: a glass of milk, a piece of fruit and maybe a healthy muesli bar
If you would you like more suggestions, or a personalised plan to suit your lifestyle, make an appointment with an Eat Smart Dietitian in Brisbane, Bayside or the Gold Coast.