Dhal Soup Serves 4
- 2 cups yellow split peas, washed
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, unpeeled, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (seeds removed if you don’t like it too hot!)
- 1.5 tblsp ground turmeric
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tblsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Add 2.5 L cold water to a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil and add split peas. Simmer, skimming off foam for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion, carrot, garlic, chilli & turmeric. Stir to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until split peas break down and the soup becomes thick. You may need to add more water if the mixture becomes dry. Season to taste.
- To make the spice, heat a saucepan sprayed with vegetable oil to medium-low heat. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Stirring, cook for 1 minute. Add curry leaves, cook, covered for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add onion. Cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is golden. Transfer half to a bowl.
- Add tomatoes to the remaining half and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2—3 mins. Add tomato mixture to split peas. Stir and add coriander.
- Serve soup topped with remaining spice mixture.
Quick Winter Soup Serves 4
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1-2 red chilli’s, seeds removed & finely chopped (depends how hot you like it!)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 cups canned red lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1.5 cups salt reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tblsp low fat natural yoghurt, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, chilli, celery and carrot. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add the cumin and coriander. Cook until fragrant. Add the lentils and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 mins or until lentils are tender.
- Season to taste. Serve with 1 tblsp yoghurt per serve.