Want to enjoy your favourite winter meals but want to keep the carbs low? Try using cauliflower! It's a great substitute for rice or mashed potato. Try it and see!
Cauliflower Rice Serves 4
1 large head white cauliflower
- Core the cauliflower and remove any green leaves. Grate the cauliflower with a hand-held grater, or chop it coarsely with a food processor.
- Heat a large, nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat, and add the cauliflower. (You may need to do this in multiple batches.) Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Put it in a microwave safe bowl. Cover it and microwave until tender. For 1 cup of cauliflower rice, cook on medium for two minutes.
This is a great substitute for rice and can be used as you would rice e.g. under casseroles or stir-fry.
Cauliflower Puree Serves 3
1 large head white cauliflower, trimmed, cut into small florets
2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup low fat milk
Salt and pepper
Olive oil spray
Garlic and other herbs if desired
1. Preheat oven to 180°. On a sheet tray, spread 1/2 of the florets and the garlic and then spray with oil.
2. Bake until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, steam remaining cauliflower until very soft. Transfer to a blender.
4. Add roasted cauliflower and garlic to blender also. Add the milk, secure top and puree mixture until smooth. If mixture is too thick, thin by adding some more milk.
5. Season to taste and add other herbs if desired such as fresh chives.
This is a great substitute for mashed potato!