It is now that time of year where we are moving from the cooler months towards the long summer days. Some may argue it is still too chilly for a light evening salad, so these quick recipes are perfect during this transition period – light but warming!
Thai Egg Rolls Serves 4
4 tbs water
1 tbs fish sauce
2 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
1 tsp minced garlic
227g tin water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped
180g bean sprouts, rinsed
125g can corn, drained
1/2 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
Small packet vermicelli noodles prepared, and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Whisk together eggs, water, fish sauce, lime leaves and garlic.
- Spray with oil and place over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup of mixture, tipping pan to coat the base and cook for a few minutes or until set.
- Combine water chestnuts, onion, bean shoots, corn, coriander, hoisin sauce and noodles
- Place ¼ cups of mixture in the center of each omelet, fold in sides and roll up and place on a baking paper lined oven tray and cook for 25 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad.
Vietnamese Pho Soup Serves 2
200g chicken breast fillet, thinly sliced
100g of dry rice noodles
1 large mushroom, sliced
600ml salt reduced chicken stock
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp salt reduced soy sauce
1½ cups bean shoots
3 bunches baby bok choy- leaves separated and cut in half
1 large carrot and capsicum, julienned
2 small red chilli – thinly sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp thinly sliced chives
12 mint leaves
4 sprigs of coriander
- Cook pasta according to packet directions.
- Bring stock and sauces to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, capsicum and mushrooms and return to the boil.
- Add chicken pieces and cook for 2 minutes, add bok choy and cook for another minute. Chicken should be white without any pink flesh.
- Place drained noodles in a soup bowl. Add bean shoots, chicken, bok choy, mushrooms and ladle over the stock. Add chilli, lemon juice, herbs and shallots to serve
Note: Add in any extra vegies that you want to bulk up this dish such as green beans or asparagus.
Greek Lamb Salad Serves 4
1 large lemon, finely grated rind
2 tsp dried Greek oregano
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 shoulder of lamb
2 tsp olive oil
1 baby cos lettuce, leaves removed
4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 Lebanese cucumbers, quartered
100g reduced fat feta, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Combine lemon rind, oregano and black peppercorns in a mortar and pestle until mixture is finely ground.
- Place shoulder of lamb into a roasting pan and rub with oil. Sprinkle with lemon mixture.
- Roast for 1½-2 hours or until meat is very tender. When cool enough, remove meat from bone and slice or shred (cover with foil to keep warm).
- Place leaves onto a serving platter. Top with tomatoes, cucumber, feta and lamb.
Note: Option to serve this dish with a small pita bread or wrap (these are also available in wholegrain varieties!) and a dollop of low fat Greek yoghurt.