Breakfast is the most important meal of the day…and it doesn’t have to be bland and boring. Try these nutritious options – great for some variety (especially on the weekend!)
Magnificent Muesli Serves 12 (1/2 cup per serve)
400 g (4 cups) rolled oats
15 g ground linseeds
100 g slivered almonds
40g pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
125 g dried apricots, chopped
125 g dried cranberries
1 tblsp ground cinnamon
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
3. You can make Bircher muesli by soaking ½ cup muesli in ½ cup skim/low fat milk (alternatives are soy milk or unsweetened almond milk) or apple juice overnight then stirring through grated apple or pear, and a add a dollop of low fat natural yoghurt.
For toasted muesli:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Spread half the oats on a flat ungreased oven tray and cook for about 5 minutes, or until oats brown, stirring once or twice. Repeat with remaining oats.
2. Toast almonds on the same tray.
3. Store in an airtight container.
Brekkie Quinoa Serves 2
½ cup quinoa
1 cup low fat/skim cow, soy or unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 apple (peeled and diced)
1 tbs each slivered almonds, sunflower seeds and sultanas
2 tsp honey (optional)
2 tblsp low fat natural yoghurt, to serve
1. Rinse quinoa.
2. Place in a saucepan with milk and cinnamon. Bring to the boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add apple to quinoa with nuts, seeds and sultanas. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep an eye on the progress – its ready when it has a porridge consistency. Add water if porridge looks dry.
5. Stir through honey and serve with a dollop of yoghurt each.