Spiced Lamb with Warm Tomato Salad Serves 4
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch saffron threads
¼ cup pomegranate molasses (sold in delicatessans and spice stores)
12 x 60g lamb cutlets, trimmed of visible fat
1 tblsp olive oil
90g flaked almonds, toasted
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 eggplant, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
80g baby spinach leaves
2 tblsp Moroccan seasoning paste, or 2-3 tsp of Morroccan seasoning powder
2 tblsp flat leaf parsley
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine spices and pomegranate molasses in a shallow bowl. Add lamb and mix well to coat.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan with a spray of oil. Add onion and eggplant. Cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until softened. Add tomato, spinach and seasoning. Cook for a further minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat a BBQ plate over high heat. Brush lamb with oil, cook for 2 mins per side (for medium). Transfer to a plate and cover. Rest for 5 mins.
- Add almonds and parsley and toss to combine. Serve tomato mixture topped with 3 lamb cutlets per serve. Top with lemon wedges.
Chicken Yakitori Skewers Serves 4
40mL (2 tblsp) salt reduced soy sauce
40mL (2 tblsp) mirin (rice wine)
1 tblsp caster sugar
½ tblsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
600-800g chicken thigh fillets
2 medium red capsicums
4 shallots, white section only, cut in to 4cm lengths
8 large or 16 small button mushrooms
2 lebanese (slender) eggplants, cut in to 2 cm rounds
- Place the soy sauce, mirin, sugar, vinegar and ginger in a glass bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Reserve half the mixture. Add the chicken to the remaining mixture and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours to marinate.
- Soak 8 skewers in water while the chicken marinates.
- Thread the chicken, capsicum, shallot, mushroom & eggplant on to the skewers.
- Preheat BBQ grill on medium. Add the skewers and cook for 15 mins, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the reserved soy sauce mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Serve cooked skewers with sauce.