Garlic can help fight off those winter ailments so try these garlic fuelled recipes are just the ticket for a cold winter night’s dinner….
Sizzling Garlic Beef Serves 4
500g lean rump steak, sliced thinly across the grain
1 tblsp salt reduced soy sauce
3 tsp cornflour
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tblsp peanut oil
1 brown onion, halved and cut into wedges
1 red & 1 yellow capsicum, cut into strips
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup chopped garlic chives
1 bunch broccolini, cut into 3cm sections
160mL salt reduced beef stock
2 tblsp kecap manis
- Combine beef, soy sauce, cornflour, sesame oil and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat half the sesame oil in a wok until hot. Add the beef and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until brown. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining sesame oil and stir-fry the onion for 1 minute. Add the garlic and capsicum and stir-fry for another minute. Add half the chives and broccolini for another minute. Add the stock and allow to cook for 3 minutes or until broccolini until bright green and tender.
- Return the beef, add the kecap manis and remaining chives. Heat for 1 minute or until sauce thickens. Serve as is or with steamed rice.
Herb, garlic & chicken broth Serves 4
6 whole garlic cloves
1 L salt reduced chicken stock
150mL dry white wine
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1 BBQ chicken, skin and stuffing removed, meat shredded
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
1 handful sugar snap peas, topped & tailed
- Press garlic cloves to bruise. Place garlic, stock, wine & 1 cup water into a saucepan. Add the herbs and 8 parsley stalks, season to taste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 mins. Strain and return to saucepan.
- Add the vegetables to the hot broth and cook for 2 mins until tender crisp. Add the shredded chicken and remaining parsley, chopped.
- Serve and enjoy chicken soup for the soul!