As the temperature drops, there is nothing better than coming home to a slow cooked meal all ready to warm you up. Try these Eastern European influenced recipes for a healthy change!
Borscht Soup Serves 6
1.2kg lean chuck steak, diced
1 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 fresh beetroots, peeled and cut into wedges
½ small cabbage, diced
3 tblsp low salt tomato paste
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
375mL salt reduced beef stock
2 tblsp white or malt vinegar
6 tblsp extra light sour cream
2 tblsp horseradish (optional)
Squeeze lemon juice
2 tblsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Place beef, vegetables, paste, tin tomatoes, stock and vinegar in slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
2. Remove the lid and cook on high for a further 1-2 hours or until the borscht reaches a thick casserole consistency. Season to taste.
3. Combine the sour cream, horseradish and lemon juice in a bowl and season to taste. Serve the soup garnished with horseradish mixture and parsley.
Chicken Goulash Serves 4
700g chicken thigh, skinless
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 green capsicums, seeded and sliced
1 tblsp sweet paprika
125g (1/2 cup) tomato passata
1 sprig marjoram
125mL white wine
250mL salt reduced chicken stock
125g extra light sour cream
1 tblsp cornflour
1 small handful flat leaf parsley
1. Trim chicken of fat and cut thighs into quarters. Combine chicken, onion, garlic, capsicum, paprika, passata and marjoram in the slow cooker. Pour in the wine and stock and cook on high for 4 – 5 hours (low for 8-9 hours) or until chicken is tender.
2. Combine the sour cream and cornflour in a small bowl. Add to the slow cooker and cook for a further 5-10 minutes uncovered until thickened. Season to taste.
3. Stir in the parsley and serve the goulash with extra vegetables and potato, rice or pasta for a higher carbohydrate meal.